About this site
ORBZone was initially set up by IONA Technologies (now Progress Software) in 2005. In 2009 IONA discontinued the ORBZone website and later that year transferred ownership of the domain to Remedy IT. In 2011 Remedy IT decided to revive the ORBZone community website.
ORBZone is here to foster a community, not only amongst the thousands of CORBA developers worldwide but also those developers working with (closely) related distributed computing technologies as CCM, DDS etc as well as those working on the development of the next generation of these technologies like CBDDS, UCM, OCCAM etc. It is in the interest of all vendors and users to have a vibrant forum. It is not a marketing vehicle for any specific vendor but a central location for all information regarding the discussed technologies. ORBZone can be edited by anybody who registers.
ORBZone pushes out control to the users. It is a world of “read-write” rather than just read. The site uses social software to open up discourse and introduce feedback into what is currently a comparatively static read only community.
ORBZone recognizes three types of users:
- Anonymous users
- Registered users
Anonymous users get full readonly access to the information on the site, have access to the search functionality, subscribe to site information via RSS feeds and can participate in Polls. Furthermore they can also comment on News, Articles, Blogs and Forum posts as well as cast popularity votes.
Commenting without providing identification is possible but is not regarded as respectful. Provided at least a name is considered basic politeness.
A Registered user has the following additional possibilities:
- Post News and Event entries. Information of this nature from vendors is very welcome but blatant commercial messaging will not be well received!
- Post forum entries containing questions, assisting information and/or objective opinions regarding technologies, products or capabilities. Comment on and debate technology or product issues.
- Contribute to the Resources and Glossary databases.
- Link Twitter and/or LinkedIn accounts providing the possibility to update their respective statuses when posting on ORBZone.
- Subscribe to their favorite posting, discussion thread and/or author to get regular updates by EMail notifying them of changes or additions. Select own preference for EMail format and update interval.
See the Subscription (sub-)forms on content pages and comment forms as well as the Notifications tab on the My Account page.
Registering is as easy as selecting the Register option in the service menu and submitting the registration form with a valid Email address filled in. ORBZone will automatically send out an Email confirming the registration request and will follow that up with an activation Email when registration has been processed.
Registered users can become Editor by sending a request to that end to ORBZone administration.
Being an Editor a user has the following additional possibilities:
- Post feature Articles.
- Create personal Blog entries.
- Setup Polls.
- Upload images to link in postings.
There are no fixed requirements for Editors (other than conforming to etiquette) but it is highly appreciated if they take care to visit and update ORBZone on a regular basis.
Your comments and/or postings should keep to the following guidelines:
- although technology users can come from all over the world ORBZone keeps to a single language: English; so all texts should use that language
- keep to the topics which are the focus of this community site, CORBA, CCM and related technologies
- try to keep your postings interesting, to the point and newsworthy
- be polite
- (try to) be objective
What information do we collect?
We collect information from you when you register on this site.
When registering on this site, as appropriate, you will be asked to enter your user name and e-mail address. You may, however, visit this site anonymously.
How do we protect your information?
We implement a variety of security measures to maintain the safety of your personal information when you enter, submit, or access your personal information.
Do we disclose any information to outside parties?
We do not sell, trade, or otherwise transfer to outside parties your personally identifiable information.
Third party links
As part of the information services this site provides you may find references to websites offering third party products or services. These third party sites have separate and independent privacy policies. We therefore have no responsibility or liability for the content and activities of these linked sites. Nonetheless, we seek to protect the integrity of our site and welcome any feedback about these sites.
This policy was last modified on 2012 December 28